NCC Education, international students studying in the UK, Tier 4 visas, post-study work in the UK and Covid-19 - NCC Education

NCC Education, international students studying in the UK, Tier 4 visas, post-study work in the UK and Covid-19 21 July 2020

Progress to a UK university with NCC Education qualifications

NCC Education qualifications are recognised by a range of UK universities. Our agreements include entry on to various degree programmes in many subject disciplines as well as Advanced Standing and Exemption agreements to enable students to progress on to a particular year of an undergraduate degree course including year 1, year 2, year 3 or postgraduate level. Twice a year NCC Education publishes a booklet with all the current agreements and entry requirements. This booklet can be found and downloaded on our website.


During your studies with NCC Education, you may decide to apply to a UK university. This can be done on a direct application form through the university’s international office, or by using UCAS (The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). If you meet the requirements and are offered a place on a course, you will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK.


What is a Tier 4 visa?

Tier 4 (General) is a category of visa for students coming to the UK for post-16 education. A Tier 4 (General) student must be at least 16 years old.


What do I need to apply for a Tier 4 student visa from overseas?

  1. A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). This is completed online by your Tier 4 sponsor (the institution that has offered you a place on a course of study) and contains details about you, your course, qualifications and confirmation of your English language skills.
  2. Finance — You must provide evidence (for example: an original bank statement) showing that you have enough money to pay for your course fees for the first year and your living costs for each month of your course up to a maximum of 9 months.
  3. English language requirement — If you are a Tier 4 (General) student you will need to show that you have a good level of English. The level of English language proficiency you need will depend on the course you are applying for.
  4. Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate — You will need an ATAS certificate if you intend to undertake studies in designated science and technical subjects. Please check the ATAS guidance at for more information.


How do I apply for my visa?

  1. Go to to complete your visa application form, book an appointment and pay your visa fee online.
  2. Prepare your application package including a printed and signed copy of your application form, your supporting documents, your passport and a passport-style photo.
  3. Visit the visa application centre to submit your application and biometric data at the time of your appointment. You may also be required to sit a short interview.Please visit for detailed and up to date guidance before proceeding with your application


Post-study work in the UK

In September 2019 the UK government announced a new two-year post-study work visa, expanding opportunities for international students to build successful careers in the UK.

The new ‘Graduate’ route will be open to all international students who have valid UK immigration status as a student and have successfully completed a course of study in any subject at undergraduate level or above at an approved UK Higher Education Provider. The visa will allow eligible students to work, or look for work, in any career or position of their choice, for two years after completing their studies. After two years, they can switch to a skilled work visa to continue working in the UK if they’ve landed a job that meets the skill requirements of this route.

This new visa category will be open to applicants from summer 2021, which means that anyone starting a degree this autumn (2020), and who has a valid Tier 4 visa when the new category opens for applications, will be eligible to apply.

The status of each higher education institution will be shown in the register of licenced sponsors, which is publicly available on the GOV.UK website.



The Covid-19 pandemic has prevented students from heading to or returning to the UK, therefore many are studying remotely for the most part during the summer and autumn terms.

The UK Home Office recently confirmed that international students will remain eligible for post-study work rights upon graduation if they begin or continue their studies online in the 2020/21 academic year.

International graduates from UK universities can stay in the UK for up to two years after graduating in summer 2021 as long as they enter the UK by April 6th, 2021 and complete their final semester in the country.

The official Home Office “Covid-19: Guidance for Tier 4 Sponsors and Migrants and for Short-term students” document can be found here and sets out temporary policy concessions for Tier 4 sponsors, Tier 4 students and short-term study students in response to the outbreak of Covid-19. The concessions will all be kept under regular review and will be withdrawn once the situation returns to normal.

For Tier 4 students, this guidance must be read alongside the Tier 4 policy guidance and can be found here.

Good luck to all our graduates in whatever direction and discipline they choose to pursue.

Dermot Finnigan
Head of Partnerships, NCC Education
July 2020